Friday, January 29, 2010

Google Maps Do NOT Tell All

So, today has been a very exciting day.

For starters, I woke up, turned on my computer to do some yoga, and discovered that I now get internet access in my bedroom! (THANKS NEIGHBOR!) I wasted a good part of my morning just enjoying internet and google, and the lack of strict web filters and people all around me in a coffee shop. It was blissful. Then I cooked a delicious breakfast, liked it so much I cooked it again for lunch, then decided to get my act together and go for a long run. Not knowing the area very well (still...but you know my notoriously miserable sense of direction, I'm sure...) I decided to use my handy friend GOOGLE MAPS to plan out my 7 mile route. I kept it safe and ran on the greenway for a couple miles (a run/bike track along the Yakima River - not quite as scenic as it sounds, and littered with homeless individuals, but still better than the streets), then took the roads back home. I wrote the directions out on my hand, not realizing that it took me right straight through the worst part of town. I ran past an entire street of cars converted to living quarters, houses with gunshot windows, houses without windows at all, but plastic coverings to keep out the wind.

As terrifying as this run was, it actually made me thankful to live on North Naches Ave. And believe me, that is saying a lot.

Tonight: glow bowling! hollerrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment